Feijoada is a typical Portuguese dish but in Brazil, feijoada is considered their national dish. It is a slowly simmered stew made with black beans and pork or beef, but there are many versions of this stew, depending on the region. This dish is hearty and is mostly served with rice and greens, but adding tomatoes and avocado completes this tasty bean stew.
Feijoada ~ Black Beans Meat Stew
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- 1 lb. organic black beans, soaked overnight
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large organic sweet onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tbsp. organic, gluten free paprika
- 1/2 tsp. organic, gluten free cayenne
- 1 tsp. organic, gluten free coarse black pepper
- 3 organic, gluten free bay leaves
- 1 organic red pepper, sliced
- 1 organic yellow pepper, sliced
- 3-4 pounds pork spare ribs, trim off the fat and cut into large pieces
- 2 spicy gluten free sausages, such as chorizo (optional)
- 2 tsp. of sea salt
- Lime wedges
- 1. Heat olive oil in a large pot, then add onions and saute for 5 minutes.
- 2. Stir in garlic, paprika, cayenne, black pepper, bay leaves and peppers and cook for 2 minutes while stirring.
- 3. Add spare ribs, sausages, sea salt and enough water to cover the beans plus one inch. Bring to boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for six hours. Add water as needed to keep the beans covered. Ideally at the end of cooking the water level should be the same as the beans and meat.
- 4. To serve, squeeze fresh lime juice over the stew, add rice, steamed greens such as collard greens or kale, tomatoes and avocado.
Hi, I’m Kristina. Welcome to Only Gluten Free Recipes, the home of healthy, nourishing recipes. My goal is to inspire you to embrace gluten-free recipes using wholesome ingredients, good fats and without refined sugar. Most of my recipes are simple and allergy friendly[...] Read more...
Love the convenience of a one-pot meal simmering on the...
Why have plain rice when you can indulge in this...
This is another gluten free recipe for detox hearty, comforting...