Traditional crumb cakes are made with plenty of sugar and butter. This mouthwatering gluten free version is made without refined sugars and butter. The heavenly layers of moist cake and fresh fruit topped with generous amount of crumb are what make this a winner. Serve warm for breakfast with a scoop of yogurt or with coffee later in the day, it is also a tasty snack that kids love! Enjoy!
Gluten Free Apple Blueberry Crumb Cake
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 9 x 12-inch cake
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (4.5 /5)
- (2 Rating)
- FOR THE CRUMB TOPPING
- 1 cup almond meal (coarser grind then almond flour)
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup or agave nectar
- FOR THE CAKE
- 2 cups all purpose gluten free flour (I used Artisan blend)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 cup buttermilk (preferably reduced fat)
- ½ cup pure maple syrup or agave nectar
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla
- 2 large apples, peeled and roughly grated
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tbsp. tapioca starch
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
- NOTE: All ingredients including spices must be gluten-free and preferably organic
- 1. Preheat oven to 330 F and line a 9 x 12-inch baking pan with parchment paper
- 2. FIRST THE CRUMB TOPPING
- 3. Mix together almond meal, flour, cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a medium size bowl. Pour melted coconut oil and maple syrup/agave nectar over mixture, and using a spatula mix until small to medium clumps form
- 4. THEN THE CAKE
- 5. Whisk together flour, baking soda and ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6. In a separate bowl beat the eggs until fluffy, and then add buttermilk, maple syrup/agave nectar, coconut oil and vanilla. Continue to beat until creamy
- 7. Add wet ingredients to dry and using a spatula mix until smooth. Spoon batter into prepared pan
- 8. Using a fork mix together apples, blueberries, tapioca starch and cinnamon and spread evenly on top of the batter, and then sprinkle crumb topping on top.
- 9. Bake for 1 hour or until golden brown. Cool cake on a wire rack for 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm or room temperature
Hi, I’m Kristina. Welcome to Only Gluten Free Recipes, the home of healthy, nourishing recipes. My goal is to inspire you to embrace gluten-free recipes using wholesome ingredients, good fats and without refined sugar. Most of my recipes are simple and allergy friendly[...] Read more...
Sure to be a hit at breakfast, these gluten free...
Love the convenience of a one-pot meal simmering on the...
Why have plain rice when you can indulge in this...