Gluten-Free Almond Daifuku Mochi
- 1 cup shiratamako (sticky sweet rice flour made from mochigome)
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ½ cup water
- Natural food colour (see note below)
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup almond butter
- 2 tbsp. water
- Corn starch
- Tip: To make this dessert look festive I used some natural colour. I added 1 tablespoon of raspberry juice, strong coffee or a pinch of turmeric to the water first before I mixed it with the shiratmako. If you are using colour, adjust your water accordingly
- Note: All the ingredients must be gluten-free
- 1. For the mochi dough
- 2. In a glass bowl combine shiratamako and sugar, slowly whisk in water. If you are using colouring, add it to the water first. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and cook on high heat in the microwave for 90 seconds. Uncover and roughly stir with a fork or spatula. The dough should start thickening Cover the dish again and repeat this two more times
- 3. While the mochi dough is cooking, prepare the almond filling. Combine almond flour with the powdered sugar, then add almond butter and water. It should become a nice moist paste, add a little more water if needed. Divide the almond paste into 8 pieces and make them into balls
- 4. Sprinkle your working surface with cornstarch and transfer the mochi dough on top. Let it cool and divide the dough into 8 pieces
- 5. With your hands coated with a bit of cornstarch flatten each piece into a small pancake, then place an almond ball in the middle and close the mochi by pinching the edges and forming it into a mochi ball
- 6. Serve at room temperature. The mochi balls will keep in the fridge up to 4 days
Hi, I’m Kristina. Welcome to Only Gluten Free Recipes, the home of healthy, nourishing recipes. My goal is to inspire you to embrace gluten-free recipes using wholesome ingredients, good fats and without refined sugar. Most of my recipes are simple and allergy friendly[...] Read more...
Love the convenience of a one-pot meal simmering on the...
Why have plain rice when you can indulge in this...
This is another gluten free recipe for detox hearty, comforting...