Skinny Vegetarian Moussaka – Gluten Free
- 2 medium-size Japanese eggplants or use 1 large size regular eggplant
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil plus some for brushing
- 2 medium size onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp. ground paprika
- 2 tsp. dry oregano leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped
- ¾ cup vegetable broth or water
- 1 yellow or red bell pepper
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- ½ small sweet potato, grated (should make 1 cup)
- 1 medium size zucchini with skin, grated
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp. ground flax seed
- - Gluten-Free Béchamel Sauce -
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- 2 cups (454 g) creamed cottage cheese, room temperature or (you can use ricotta cheese that is creamier but has more fat)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, whisked (can't have eggs, substitute for 1 cup of grated mozzarella cheese)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- NOTE: All ingredients including spices must be gluten-free and preferably organic
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 F
- 2. Cut eggplant into 1/4-inch thick round slices and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt ad pepper. Bake for 30 minutes
- 3. Meanwhile heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium-size pot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 10 minutes. Stir in garlic, paprika, oregano, bay leaf, cayenne and cinnamon until fragrant.
- 4. Add tomatoes, broth, red pepper, mushrooms, sweet potato, zucchini and salt. Cover and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add parsley and flax seed and cook 5 more minutes. Remove bay leaf
- 5. - For the Béchamel Sauce -
- 6. In a small pot whisk together milk and rice flour. Simmer on medium heat until sauce thickens, constantly stirring, about 5 minutes.
- 7. In a medium size bowl combine ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, garlic, lemon zest, nutmeg and black pepper, and then stir in cooked milk sauce and then the eggs
- 8. - To Construct -
- 9. Preheat oven to 400 F
- 10. Spread 1 cup of vegetable sauce on the bottom of a 9x13-inch casserole dish. Place eggplant evenly over the sauce. Cover with vegetable sauce over eggplant and top with béchamel sauce. Bake for 30 minutes or until top is golden.
- 11. Remove from oven and let rest for 20 minutes, before serving
Hi, I’m Kristina. Welcome to Only Gluten Free Recipes, the home of healthy, nourishing recipes. My goal is to inspire you to embrace gluten-free recipes using wholesome ingredients, good fats and without refined sugar. Most of my recipes are simple and allergy friendly[...] Read more...
Sure to be a hit at breakfast, these gluten free...
Love the convenience of a one-pot meal simmering on the...
Why have plain rice when you can indulge in this...