Rustic Cheese and Onion Bread – Gluten Free
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 loaf
- Difficulty Level Moderate
- (4 /5)
- (1 Rating)
- 1 ¼ cup (310 mL) water, slightly warmer then room temperature
- 2 packages regular or quick active dry yeast (4 ½ teaspoons)
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) pure maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) organic, gluten-free apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup (60 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium-size onions, chopped
- ½ cup (125 mL) gluten-free millet flour
- 1 ½ cup (375 mL) gluten-free brown rice flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) gluten-free tapioca starch
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) gluten-free ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sea salt
- 1 ½ cup (375 mL) grated old cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup (60 mL) gluten-free cornmeal
- 1. In a medium bowl mix water, yeast and maple syrup, then rest for 15 minutes then stir in apple cider vinegar
- 2. While the yeast is resting, heat olive oil in a saucepan and add onions, cook on low heat for 15 minutes or until the onions become slightly caramelized. Then cool
- 3. In a large bowl stir millet flour, rice flour, all-purpose flour, tapioca starch, flaxseed and salt then add in yeast mix, onions and cheese and with a spatula combine all ingredients until they form a ball of dough. Cover the bowl with a dishcloth and rest for 1 hour
- 4. After 1 hour place dough on a slightly floured surface with cornmeal and roll the dough creating a loaf. Place loaf on parchment paper and with a sharp knife make few slices about ¼ inch deep across the dough. Cover and rest for 4 hours
- 5. Preheat oven to 450 F and place a cast iron pot without the lid in the oven. Once the oven reaches 450 F, gently transfer the dough with the parchment paper in the heated pot and cover with a lid
- 6. Bake for 30 minutes, then remove the lid and bake 20 more minutes, then remove loaf from the pot and cool on a cooling rack
Hi, I’m Kristina. Welcome to Only Gluten Free Recipes, the home of healthy, nourishing recipes. My goal is to inspire you to embrace gluten-free recipes using wholesome ingredients, good fats and without refined sugar. Most of my recipes are simple and allergy friendly[...] Read more...
Why have plain rice when you can indulge in this...
This is another gluten free recipe for detox hearty, comforting...
If you haven’t tried stuffed pork tenderloin with spinach and...