Gluten-free diet means excluding the protein gluten, which is found in grains such as wheat, rye barley and triticale (rye/wheat hybrid) that is hard for some people to digest.
There are many healthy delicious foods that are naturally gluten-free. When preparing gluten-free meals it is important to choose wisely, there are many gluten-free products available that use processed sugars, bad fats, colours and fillers.
Here is a list of ingredients that will help you create healthy gluten-free meals.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Beans, seeds and nuts in their natural form.
- Fresh meats, wild fish and free-range eggs.
- Most dairy, always use good quality cheeses and yogurts and avoid additives such as color and fillers.
- Oils such as extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil and nut oils are a good choice.
- Flours such as brown rice, quinoa, almond meal, coconut, organic corn, potato, buckwheat, arrowroot, amaranth, millet and bean. It is important that all flours have not been processed with gluten containing grains or have any additives or preservatives.
- Sweeteners, such as pure maple syrup, raw honey or agave.
- Use plenty of herbs and spices, they are nutritionally dense.
- There are many healthy choices of gluten-free pasta, like brown rice, quinoa or black bean.
If your budget allows it use organic whenever possible, otherwise buying local produce is a good choice.
When preparing your food it is important to avoid gluten contamination in your kitchen, meaning when gluten free foods come in contact with foods that contain gluten. Keep your kitchen utensils, cutting boards, pots and pans, toaster and your hands well washed prior to preparing your food.
Simply when preparing healthy gluten-free meals it does not have to be complicated, choose fresh and a variety of ingredients to have a well balanced diet that will promote good health.
It is all about making healthier choices.
For healthy gluten-free recipes see www.onlyglutenfreerecipes.com